If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (714) 558-7772

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Why Bleach Cannot Help You Beat Your Mold Problem

12/14/2020 (Permalink)

Bottles of Clorox brand bleach sitting on a shelf in a grocery store. Bleach should be benched when it comes to fungus cleanup

When unwanted mold springs up in your business in Santa Ana, CA, your reaction is probably to reach for your most potent cleaner. While it might be considered one of the most valuable disinfectants in the cleaning game, bleach should be benched when it comes to fungus cleanup.

What is Mold?

Mold is a fungus that spreads through airborne spores that use a variety of ways to get into buildings including ventilation systems and employee clothing. Once inside, mold looks for these optimal growing conditions:

  • Moisture
  • Warmth
  • Nutrients
  • Oxygen


According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), once mold has found what it needs, it can settle in within 24 to 48 hours and start to spread within seven days.

Why Should You Avoid Bleach?

While bleach can clean the hard, plastic liner of the employee break room refrigerator, fungus cleanup goes deeper than the surface. Mold thrives on materials made out of cellulose, such as wood and drywall. When it grows on porous materials like these, it penetrates the surface and can spread without being seen. Spray cleaners only reach the outermost layer of surfaces, leaving spores to grow underneath, and in some cases, the moisture they leave behind can help aid mold growth.


How Do You Clean It?

Starting to clean up mold begins by stopping the moisture problem that helped it to grow. Identify the causes of the moisture in your building and fix those issues, first. Then, dry the area thoroughly using fans and dehumidifiers. Affected materials such as drywall, wood and carpet may have to be replaced because total mold removal is difficult. If an affected surface is larger than 10 square feet, the EPA recommends that you consult a mold remediation specialist.
Fungus cleanup requires a plan that involves assessing and understanding your unique situation and avoids unknowingly aiding in spore spread through improper cleanup.

Other News

View Recent Posts